Welcome to the 5th annual St. Joseph Sculpture Walk.
MISSION OF PUBLIC ART IN SAINT JOSEPH, MISSOURI
Saint Joseph, Missouri is a unique blend of natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and beautiful, historic architecture. The mission of the Saint Joseph Sculpture Walk is to be an important, nationally recognized platform for sculpture while educating and inspiring the Saint Joseph community and its many visitors.
We aim to promote and provide public art that:
Enhances our natural and cultural environment
Reflects our community values, the diversity of our neighborhoods, the richness of our history and the promise of our future;
Is in context and harmony with its setting, and Promotes the vitality of our public spaces.
Apply for the 2018-2019 Sculpture Walk today!
The Allied Arts Council and the City of Saint Joseph, Missouri seek sculptures to be placed in Downtown Saint Joseph. Regional, national, and international sculpture artists are invited to submit work for this one-year sculpture exhibition scheduled from June 2018-May 2019. Selected sculptures/sculptors will receive a $500 honorarium and all sculptures selected will be competing for up to $13,000 in cash prize awards.
The Allied Arts Council will purchase a sculpture to become a permanent part of Saint Joseph's public art collection. Only pieces priced $15,000 or less will be considered for purchase. The Allied Arts Council will receive a 25% commission on any sculpture sold and on any commissioned sculptures.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: February 5, 2018
Artists must own the rights to the artwork and the sculpture must be available for the duration of the one-year contract. All submissions must be professionally constructed of durable materials that will withstand the elements. All durable outdoor media are encouraged. Please attach three images per submission that clearly show a front and back view, and one detail shot. Artists may submit up to four (4) sculptures for consideration, but each submission must have three images attached. Please give all dimensions and a stated insurance value for the artwork. There are presently no restrictions on size; however, artists should be aware that sculptures will be placed within well-traveled streetscapes. The installation method for each sculpture should be welded tabs or similar easy-install method.
Selected artists are responsible for transportation of the artwork to and from the installation site. The Allied Arts Council is responsible for all costs for materials and workmanship for the initial installation of the artwork, including site preparation, plinth, and clean up. Additionally, the Allied Arts Council will provide $5,000 in liability insurance and inland marine (collision and comprehensive) insurance coverage on all sculptures for the duration of the exhibition.
An artists' reception and awards ceremony will be held Friday, June 8, 2018. Following the reception, patrons are invited to take the first official sculpture walk.
St. Joseph Sculpture Walk is open to professional and amateur sculptors of all backgrounds. Sculptors may submit up to four (4) of your own original (in concept, composition, and execution) sculptures and the entry fee per sculpture is $15.00.
Artist must be at least 18 years of age.
1. All entries must be fully completed and submitted for this exhibition by February 5 2018.
2. Proposals and computer renderings will be accepted. However, proposals or renderings should be as specific as possible, and include a narrative and additional support materials that provide a strong indication of the appearance of the final work proposed. Entry must be similar to proposal and finished product submitted for approval. If work arrives and isn't as proposed, AAC has the right to reject sculpture.
3. No sculpture entries that are identical to sculptures already placed or to be placed in other similar public sculpture programs within 200 miles of St. Joseph will be considered.
4. Work must be suitable for outdoor installation as follows:
√ Able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad or metal base with anchor bolts.
√ Capable of withstanding adverse weather conditions (high winds, below zero temperatures, heavy rains, ice, snow, storms, etc.)
√ Fabricated and finished with non-hazardous materials.
√ Maintenance free for the duration of the exhibition.
√ Appropriate for an active pedestrian environment, with proper consideration given to the safety of the audience.
5. The selected works are to be exhibited throughout downtown Saint Joseph, Missouri from June 8, 2018 until May 14, 2019. Sculptures must be loaned for the duration of the exhibition as specified and may not be removed or returned until the conclusion of the exhibition. All sculptures from non returning artists must be removed no later than May 25, 2019.
Help Sponsor the Sculpture Walk!
The St. Joseph Sculpture Walk has many giving levels and your contribution helps make St. Joseph a better place to live through the arts.
For information on sponsorship opportunities please call the Allied Arts Council office at 816-233-0231.