Dr. Peggy Edwards, Dean: (660) 446-2003

The American Guild of Organists fosters the appreciation and enjoyment of organ and choral music through recitals and workshops.

     ZION EVANGELICAL GERMAN CHURCH was organized in 1865, and as a result of denominational mergers is now known as Zion United Church of Christ.  In 1881, the congregation erected a Gothic revival building at Ninth and Jules Streets.  In 1926, the congregation built the present building at Ninth and Faraon Streets, designed by the local firm of Eckel & Aldrich, and patterned after the English Gothic revival style, which was popular in residential and collegiate design at the time.  

     The congregation continues to pride itself on its strong Swiss-German heritage.  For many years, the church was the center of family social life, and for that reason, this building features a full gymnasium as part of the institutional church concept.

     The sanctuary was originally based on the Akron Plan, the last major church design in the city to do so.  The organ was given as a memorial by the children of Mr. & Mrs. M. K. Goetz.  The family owned the local brewery which originated "Country Club Malt Liquor."  The organ was designed and sold by the Adolph B. Suess Art Church Furnishings Co. of East Saint Louis, IL, under the label, "Suess Symphonic Organ," but was actually built by the E. F. Walcker Co. of Ludwigsburg, Germany.   

     The original specification of 26 ranks across 3 manuals and pedal was designed to imitate orchestral colors.  Although the Walcker pipework was of high quality, mechanical problems plagued this organ and others made by Walcker and shipped to this country, necessitating a complete rebuild by the Reuter Co., which occurred shortly after World War II.  The original console and chests were replaced and some ranks were shifted in order to update the original tonal design.

     In 1978, the Reuter Organ Co. was hired to rebuild the organ.  The second console was replaced and the stoplist was substantially revised, although much of the Walcker pipework was retained with major rescaling and revoicing.  The organ now has 33 ranks.  The manual chests are all 73 notes.

 

 

Interior of Zion United Church of Christ

 

The console at Zion UCC

 

 

For full information on what these stops mean, click HERE

SPECIFICATION 

ZION UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

E. F. WALCKER CO., Ludwigsburg, Germany, 1926

(under the label "Suess Symphonic Organ")

Rebuilt by Reuter Organ Co., Lawrence, KS

Opus 718, 1946

Opus 5222, 1978

now with Reuter console 

III/33   Pitman chests with electro-pneumatic action

For full information on what these stops mean, click HERE

 GREAT ORGAN

 8' Principal

 8' Bourdon

 4' Octave

 4' Rohrflote

 2 2/3' Quinte

 2' Super Octave

     Fourniture III

 8' Trompete

     Chimes

     Tremulant

SWELL ORGAN

 16' Lieblich Bourdon

 8' Gedeckt

 8' Viole

 8' Viole Celeste

 4' Principal

 4' Hohlflote

 2 2/3' Nazard

 2' Blockflote

 1 3/5'Tierce

     Plein Jeu III

 8' Hautbois

     Tremulant

CHOIR ORGAN 

8' Holzgedeckt

 4' Principal

 4' Querflote

 2' Octavin

 1 1/3' Quint TC

 8' Cromorne

     Harp

     Tremulant

PEDAL ORGAN

32' Resultant

16' Principal

16' Bourdon

16' Lieblich Bourdon (Sw)

 8' Octave

 8' Bourdon

 8' Lieblich Gedeckt (Sw)   

 4' Choral Bass

 4' Rohrflote (Gt)

16' Bombarde

8' Brombarde 

 

    

Information provided by David Lewis

Web Design by Wally Bloss


Updated February 18, 2010 .  2000 Allied Arts Council of St. Joseph, Inc. Special thanks to CCP Online for hosting this site. Funding for this site has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council.