Info on the AAC Member Agency Info Council Programs Art Events Schedule Be in touch Our Arts Festival Arts Fare Public Art

Dr. Peggy Edwards, Dean: (660) 446-2003

The American Guild of Organists fosters the appreciation and enjoyment of organ and choral music through recitals and workshops.

WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Now occupied by Wellspring Community Church.

 

 WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH was organized in 1863.  In 1866, the congregation built a stone chapel in the 800 block of Felix, which was to be the first phase of a larger structure.  Reportedly, it had the first slate roof in the city.  In 1872, the congregation abandoned plans to complete this building, which was in the midst of the city’s emerging retail shopping district, and took over a building at Sixth & Jules, which had been built by a congregation of Old School Presbyterians, which divided in 1867.  In 1892, the congregation built a new building at 20th & Faraon, which at that time, was on the edge of the city limits. Walter Boshen was the architect. The church acquired an organ built by Johnson & Son, listed as Opus 727, 1890,which was enlarged and converted to tubular-pneumatic action by the Bennett Organ Co. in 1919, as their Opus 232X.  

That building burned in 1933, and was replaced by the present structure on the same site.  The Johnson organ was to have been rebuilt by Gustav Treu of St. Louis, however, it was ultimately replaced with a new Kilgen organ, given by Mrs. George Johnson in memory of her husband.  Mrs. Johnson’s daughter and son-in-law, Mr. & Mrs. L. M. Pinkston, gave the chimes.  The organ is installed in two enclosed chambers on one side of the chancel.  The organ is highly unified, as the choir manual stops are “borrowed” or “duplexed” from the Great, a common practice of the Kilgen Company in smaller organs.  The original nine rank specification consisted of several contrasting flute and string stops, plus a single Diapason and Vox Humana, a solo reed stop, designed for Romantic music.  When the organ was rebuilt by Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc., the Great 8’ Dulciana was replaced by a 4’ Octave, the Great 8’ Gamba was replaced by a Gemshorn and a three rank Mixture was added to provide a “Principal Chorus”, which previously was not present.  The Vox Humana stop was replaced with a chorus “Trompette” stop, and remaining original stops were revoiced. 

The tilting tablet console of the 1933 Kilgen pipe organ in Westminster Presbyterian Church features black coupler tabs and white stop tabs, except for the "reed" stops, which are red, and the percussion stop (chimes), which is denoted by a marbelized chartreuse-colored tab.

In 2004, this congregation merged with Second Presbyterian Church to form Trinity Presbyterian Church, which worships at 33rd & Penn Streets.      

 

 

Interior of Sanctuary

 

Console of Organ

 

Chancel Sidewall Organ Chambers

 

 

SPECIFICATION 

WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

GEORGE KILGEN & SON, St. Louis, Missouri 

Opus 5206, 5206 A (Chimes), 1933

Rebuilt by Quimby Pipe Organs, Inc., Warrensburg, Missouri  1992

III/12  Unit chests with electro-pneumatic action        

 

For full information on what these stops mean, click HERE

 GREAT ORGAN (enclosed)

16’ Gemshorn (ext.)

  8’ Principal

  8’ Hohlflute

  8’ Gemshorn (new)

  4’ Octave (new)

  4’ Hohlflute (ext)

  2’ Super Octave  (ext)

  1 1/3’ Mixture III (new)

       Chimes

 

SWELL ORGAN (enclosed)

16’ Gedeckt

  8’ Gedeckt (ext)

  8’ Gamba

  8’ Gamba Celeste TC

  4’ Gedeckt (ext)

  4’ Gamba  (ext)

  2 2/3’ Gedeckt Twelfth (ext)

  2’ Gedeckt (ext)

  8’ Trompette

 

 

CHOIR (from Great)

8’ Hohlflute

8’ Gemshorn

4’ Principal

4’ Hohlflute

4’ Gemshorn

2’ Octave

2’ Hohlflute

 

PEDAL ORGAN

16’ Bourdon

16’ Gedeckt (sw)

  8’ Bourdon (ext)

  8’ Gemshorn (gt)

  8’ Gedeckt (ext)

16’ Trompette (prepared)

 

Information provided by David Lewis

Web Design by Wally Bloss

 


Updated February 18, 2010 .  2000 Allied Arts Council of St. Joseph, Inc. Special thanks to CCP Online for hosting this site. Funding for this site has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council.