Dr. Peggy Edwards, Dean: (660) 446-2003

The American Guild of Organists fosters the appreciation and enjoyment of organ and choral music through recitals and workshops.

CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION was organized as a German national parish in 1860.  A wood frame church was built on the southeast corner of 10th & Angelique and was destroyed by a windstorm in 1864.  It was replaced by a brick building, completed 1867.  In 1908, this building was razed and replaced by the present building, designed by the local architect, Edmund J. Eckel and completed in 1910.  Twelve of the 37 stained glass windows are original to the building and depict the life of Mary, mother of Christ.  They were created by the Frei Studio of St. Louis.  In 1961, the parish of Sts. Peter & Paul, a Polish national parish organized in 1883, which initially worshipped at Immaculate Conception prior to building its own church in 1893, began to worship again at this church.  In 1977, the two parishes were combined to form Queen of the Apostles Church.  The old “prickly Gothic” wood high altar, statuary and hand-carved Italian Stations of the Cross from Sts. Peter & Paul was brought over to this building.  The parish was closed by the Diocese of Kansas City—St. Joseph in 1992.  The property was deeded over to a not-for-profit group and re-named “Twin Spires”.  The organization assembled a religious history museum and undertook restoration of the property.  In 2002, the St Joseph Museum took management of this facility.  The most recent pipe organ was installed by M. P. Moller in the late 1940’s and was sold by the Diocese before it deeded the building. 

 In 2003 the property was sold to private investors, Ed and Linda Hood who operate it as a wedding chapel and reception hall.

 

Interior of Sanctuary - circa 2002

 

Early Interior

Note: The tiny words below photograph reads: Church of the Immaculate Conception, St Joseph Mo

The four numbers on the far right are harder to distinguish - perhaps 3 4 31?

 

ORGAN SPECIFICATION 

(The Pipe Organ has been removed)

 

 GREAT ORGAN

SWELL ORGAN

 

PEDAL ORGAN 

 

COUPLERS

 

COMBINATION PEDALS 

 

    

Information provided by David Lewis

Web Design by Wally Bloss

 


Updated February 18, 2010 .  2000 Allied Arts Council of St. Joseph, Inc. Special thanks to CCP Online for hosting this site. Funding for this site has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council.