Dr. Peggy Edwards, Dean: (660) 446-2003

The American Guild of Organists fosters the appreciation and enjoyment of organ and choral music through recitals and workshops.

 

ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH

ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH was organized in 1869 to serve Roman Catholics living in “Patee Town”, for whom the journey to the original St. Joseph Church at Fifth & Felix proved difficult.  Patee Town was the first addition to the Original Town of St. Joseph, extending south from Messanie Street.  Thus, St. Patrick’s parish holds the distinction of being the first “suburban” parish in St. Joseph.  Mass was initially celebrated in the Christian Brothers School, then on the northwest corner of 11th & Monterey.  The present site at 12th & Doniphan was purchased in 1870.  Some complained that the location was too far out of town.  The cornerstone for the present building was laid in October or November 1872. The Romanesque style brick building, faced in cut stone, measuring 50 x 100’, was designed and superintended by the local firm of Stigers & Boettner, at a cost of $18,000.  It was dedicated before the interior was finished in December 1873, at a total cost of $20,000.  In the following year, the first parish house and school/convent were built.  The parish membership increased as the nearby Burlington railroad facilities expanded.  A bell tower was added to the church in 1897.  The present rectory was built in 1909 and the present school was built in 1912 at a cost of $45,000.  With a bequest from the estate of Bridget Brick, the present Italian marble altars were ordered in 1940, however, World War II delayed their installation until 1947.  In 1960, Holy Rosary Parish closed and its boundaries were incorporated into St. Patrick’s.  A 3-rank Moller “Artiste” pipe organ was brought over from the Holy Rosary Church and served the parish until it was recently replaced by an 8-rank Wicks pipe organ purchased from Conception Abbey.  The Moller organ now serves the chapel of the Living Community of St. Joseph .

 

Sanctuary

 

St. Patrick’s organ when previously installed in the student chapel of Conception Abbey.

 

Since the previous organ was self-contained in a cabinet, a room, called an “organ chamber”, was constructed in the choir loft by Steve Clayton of Trinity Restoration.  In addition to providing safe “housing” for the pipework, expression shades in the tone opening behind the original grillwork provide volume control for the organ.

 

The longest pipes, comprising the bottom octaves of the manual stops and the pedal stops, are “offset” from the elevated main chests along the back wall of the chamber. 

 

 The main pipe chests are installed on elevated framework above the wind reservoirs and level with the tone opening to maximize the projection of sound.  
 

The Mount Alverno organ in its new “home”, St. Patrick’s Church.

 

 

SPECIFICATION 

ST. PATRICK’S CHURCH

 

WICKS ORGAN CO., Highland, Illinois

Opus 3906, 1959

 

Originally installed in the chapel of Mount Alverno Convent,

Maryville, Missouri

 

Relocated to student chapel of Conception Abbey,

Conception, Missouri, 1987

 

Relocated to St. Patrick’s Church by Temple Organs,

St. Joseph, Missouri, 2004, with unit 4-2’ Principal

replacing original 8’ Salicional

    

II/8  “Direct Electric” chests

 

For full information on what these stops mean, click HERE

 GREAT ORGAN

 

8’ Open Diapason

8’ Stopped Flute

8’ Dulciana

8’ Unda Maris TC

4’ Octave

4’ Flute (ext.)

2’ Fifteenth (ext.)

SWELL ORGAN

 

16’ Bourdon

  8’ Stopped Flute (ext.)

  8’ Gemshorn

  8’ Dulciana

  4’ Flute d’amour (ext.)

  4’ Gemshorn (ext.)

  4’ Dulciana (ext.)

  2 2/3 Nazard (ext.)

  2’ Bloch Flute (ext.)

  8’ Oboe

      Tremelo

 

PEDAL ORGAN 

 

16’ Bourdon

16’ Lieblich Gedeckt (sw) 

  8’ Flauto Dolce

  8’ Cello

  8’ Dulciana

  4’ Choral Bass

  8’ Oboe

 

    

 

Information provided by David Lewis

Web Design by Wally Bloss

 


Updated February 18, 2010 .  2000 Allied Arts Council of St. Joseph, Inc. Special thanks to CCP Online for hosting this site. Funding for this site has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council.