Dr. Peggy Edwards, Dean: (660) 446-2003

The American Guild of Organists fosters the appreciation and enjoyment of organ and choral music through recitals and workshops.

NEW LIFE FULL GOSPEL CHURCH, was built in 1910 by First Methodist Episcopal Church, which merged with Francis Street United Methodist Church in 1995.  Designed by the prominent Cleveland, Ohio, firm of Badgely & Nicklas, the worship space and Sunday School Assembly Hall in this Gothic revival-style Akron Plan building are separated by a large door which disappears into the ceiling.  The two level Sunday school assembly hall features a square clerestory.  The center of the sanctuary ceiling features a version of the Gothic fan-groin vault which incorporates a skylight, with incandescent light bulbs spaced along the beams in plaster rosettes.

1.    Completion of construction was celebrated by six days of dedicatory services in May 1910.  Dr. Frank E. Day preached his first sermon as the new pastor on May 15, 1910.  At his first glimpse of the church, he exclaimed, “Why it looks like a ‘White Temple’”, a nickname, which stayed with the building for the next 85 years.       

 The pipe organ has been removed although the case remains. 

 

Early Post Card view - then known as White Temple (First Methodist Church)

 

A more recent view of same building from the same angle

 

View of the south west corner of building

 

Interior circa 2004

 

 

SPECIFICATION 

    

 

Information provided by David Lewis

Web Design by Wally Bloss


Updated February 18, 2010 .  2000 Allied Arts Council of St. Joseph, Inc. Special thanks to CCP Online for hosting this site. Funding for this site has been provided by the Missouri Arts Council.